How to Apply
If you are an eligible applicant, you may apply to MSMS using one electronic application. There is no cost to apply and no tuition to attend MSMS. There is a nominal boarding fee of $500 per semester to cover meals and housing. If you are eligible for free or reduced lunch, that fee is waived.
In order to complete the 2017 application process and be considered for the MSMS Class of 2020, potential applicants must complete ALL of the requirements by February 1, 2018
Step 1: Determine if you are eligible
- Applicants must be a resident of Mississippi.
- Applicants must currently be in the 10th grade.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum of 12 Carnegie units of study by completion of 10th grade.
- Applicants must show evidence of superior grades, especially in mathematics and science, with an overall average of 90 of higher.
- Applicants must have certain classes completed by the end of their 10th grade year.
- Applicants must submit an ACT score.
- Applicants must submit their application by the priority deadline of February 1, 2018.
Step 2: Complete an application via www.themsms.org
- Applicant information page (required)
- School information page (required)
- Resume and personal narrative (required)
- Two essays (required)
- Work sample (optional)
Step 3: Take the ACT by December 9, 2017
- All applicants must take the ACT as part of the application process.
- Applicants do not have to take the ACT before creating an application account.
- 2017 ACT test dates:
- September 9, 2017 (Registration deadline is August 4, 2017)
- October 28, 2017 (Registration deadline is September 22, 2017)
- December 9, 2017 (Registration deadline is November 3, 2017)
- There is an opportunity to take a residual ACT in January 2018. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Step 4: Obtain teacher and counselor recommendations
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ask their teachers and counselor to complete their recommendation by February 1, 2018.
- Applicants can only use teachers that have taught them within the last three years.
- Applicants must have a recommendation completed by their:
- Mathematics teacher
- Science teacher
- Additional teacher/administrator
Step 5: Submit a 9th grade transcript and the first semester report card of the 10th grade year
- The following classes must be completed by the end of your 10th grade year:
- Two units of English. English I and II are required.
- Two units of mathematics. Algebra I and geometry are required. Algebra II is recommended.
- Two units of science. Biology I is required.
- Two units of social studies. Any of the following courses that add up to two units are acceptable: World history, world geography, Mississippi studies, economics or government. Additional social studies are recommended.
- It is recommended the applicant completes the following courses at their home school prior to enrolling:
- One unit of technology. Computer Discovery, STEM, or 1/2 unit of keyboarding and 1/2 unit of computer applications.
- 1/2 unit of health.
- 1/2 unit of physical education.
Step 6: Follow your progress using your electronic application user account